Doritos nachos feature crunchy chips, ground beef, refried beans, and all the toppings! They're filling and take less than 30 minutes to make. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
Why You'll Love it:
Doritos nachos are a cheesy, meaty, crave-worthy meal! And more importantly, they're super quick and simple. The base of these nachos is a layer of Doritos, which adds a boost of nacho cheese flavor.
I loaded these nachos with beef, cheese, lettuce, avocado, pickled jalapenos, salsa, and sour cream! But, you can use whatever toppings you like and omit the ones you don't. That's the beauty of nachos!
Serve these nacho Doritos for lunch, dinner, or a satisfying snack! Anytime is nacho time.
Ground beef - I used ground sirloin (90/10), because it was on sale. You can use any fat percentage, but you will need to drain any excess grease. I didn't need to, since ground sirloin is so lean.
Refried beans - I intentionally used half a can, instead of a whole one. A whole can added too much moisture to the Doritos, making them a little soggy.
Taco seasoning - To season the beef. You can make your own if you want. I prefer to just buy it and keep things simple.
Tomato paste - For a boost of tomato flavor in the meat mixture. The acidity cuts some of the richness from the meat.
Cheese - I used Sargento's 4 cheese Mexican blend. It melted beautifully. You can use any mixture of shredded cheese you like. Try Colby jack, Monterey jack, or cheddar. Avoid hard cheeses like parmesan and pecorino.
Toppings - Use your favorite toppings! I used shredded lettuce, avocado, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, and salsa.
How to Make Doritos Nachos:
This nacho recipe is super simple!
Assemble nachos: A large parchment-lined sheet pan, add a thick layer of Doritos. It's okay if they overlap! Try not to leave gaps.
Cook ground beef: Next, cook the beef in a hot skillet until browned. It should be cooked all the way through.
Add taco seasoning: Add one tablespoon of taco seasoning. Don't use the entire bag or the mixture will be too salty.
Add tomato paste: Add one tablespoon of tomato paste and two tablespoons of water. Stir the mixture until everything is combined.
Add refried beans: Mixing the refried beans with the meat keeps the meat from drying out in the oven.
Add cheese: Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the Doritos. I used two cups, but you can add as little or much as you like!
Add beef and bake: Spoon the beef mixture onto the cheese and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Add toppings: Layer your lettuce, avocado, jalapenos, sour cream, and salsa on top. Add the wet ingredients, like salsa and sour cream, last.
Enjoy immediately: Don't let the nachos sit or they will get soggy. Enjoy them right away, while the chips are crispy!
- Add the cheese first. This creates a buffer between the crispy chips and moist meat/beans.
- Add the wet toppings last. Moisture creates soggy chips! Add the salsa and sour cream last so the chips stay crisp longer.
- Don't let the nachos sit. Nachos are meant to be enjoyed right away. The longer they sit, the more likely the chips will soften.
- You can make the meat mixture a day ahead. Refrigerate until ready to use, then spoon onto the nachos as directed.
- Finely shredded cheese is easier to spread. Both thick or thin work, but you get more even coverage with thin.
- Meat - Swap the ground beef with ground turkey for a healthier alternative.
- Vegetarian - Skip the meat mixture and just bake the nachos with cheese, then add the toppings!
- No beans - If you hate beans, leave them out. The Doritos nachos will still taste great!
- Toppings - Add or swap with your favorite toppings! Try chopped cilantro, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo, corn, black beans, guacamole, or diced bell peppers.
- Dairy-free - Swap the cheese with a dairy-free or vegan alternative. Just be sure it melts well!
Nachos are best enjoyed immediately! I only recommend making as much or little as you plan to eat.
Thankfully, you can easily scale the recipe up or down. Only use as many chips and meat as you plan to eat. Save the extra meat in the fridge and use for burrito bowls or nachos another time.
Easy Dinner Recipes:
- 17 Cheap Easy Meals for Large Groups
- The BEST One Pound Meatloaf Recipe
- Cowboy Soup
- Simple Guacamole Recipe with a Twist
Loaded Doritos Nachos
- baker's sheet pan
- Large nonstick skillet
For the nachos:
- 9 ounces Doritos nacho cheese chips
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ can refried beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese I used 4 cheese Mexican
For the toppings:
- shredded lettuce
- avocado, diced
- pickled jalapenos
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Cover the parchment paper with a thick layer of Doritos.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. If necessary, drain any excess fat.
- Add the taco seasoning, water, and tomato paste. Stir well.
- Add the refried beans and stir until everything is mixed together. Cook for another minute or so. Remove pan from the heat.
- Evenly layer the shredded cheese over the Doritos. Top with meat mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the nachos from the oven. Top with shredded lettuce, pickled jalapenos, salsa, avocado, and sour cream. Enjoy immediately!