If you're craving a milkshake but don't have any ice cream, this chocolate milkshake is creamy, rich, and delicious.
Don't be confused by the frozen banana, this milkshake should not be confused with "nice cream". It's sweet, rich, and chocolatey, just like any good shake should be. It just doesn't have any ice cream in it!
Most milkshake recipes without ice cream call for ice and milk or cream, which results in an icy texture. I wanted to mimic the smooth texture of ice cream, so I used a frozen banana. Bananas are naturally sweet, creamy, and blend into a soft serve consistency.
This chocolate shake is decadent and customizable too! Make it dairy-free or vegan with just a few simple swaps.
Why you'll love it
- Thick & creamy even though it has no ice cream
- Decadent, sweet, & chocolatey
- Customizable with a dairy-free option
This chocolate milkshake without ice cream requires five simple ingredients plus ice!
- Dark cocoa powder - Dark cocoa powder (or dutched cocoa) has an intense, rich chocolatey flavor that's smooth. You can find it right next to regular cocoa powder.
- Ice - Just enough to make the shake thick and frosty, without making it icy.
- Frozen banana - Ripe bananas are naturally sweet and creamy. When you freeze them, they make a good thickener for frozen treats.
- Sugar - To sweeten the chocolate milkshake. For a natural sweetener, try maple syrup. If you want the shake less sweet, reduce the sugar to two tablespoons.
- Heavy cream - Cream mimics the rich taste and texture of a shake!
- Milk - To thin out the milkshake so it's pourable.
How to make a milkshake without ice cream
In a high-speed blender, combine the cocoa powder, ice, frozen banana, sugar, heavy cream, and two tablespoons of milk. Blend until very thick and smooth, similar to soft serve ice cream.
Don't add all the milk yet. It's best to blend the banana until very thick, then add the milk to achieve the right consistency.
Add the remaining milk and blend for a few seconds to incorporate.
Pour the chocolate milkshake without ice cream into two glasses and top with whipped cream!
- If you don't already have frozen bananas on hand, cut a banana into chunks and throw it into a freezer bag, then freeze overnight. I do this all the time before my bananas turn brown. Frozen bananas are great for smoothies, nice cream, and this milkshake recipe!
- If you prefer, you can use chocolate sauce instead of cocoa powder. Reduce the sugar to two tablespoons, then adjust the sweetness as needed.
- If you have a whole frozen banana, carefully cut it in half. It will make it easier on your blender to blend it up.
This milkshake recipe without ice cream is easy to customize! Here's a few delicious variations to try:
Dairy-Free & Vegan: Swap the heavy cream with coconut cream and the milk with plant-based milk.
Chocolate Peanut Butter: Add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter!
Chocolate Oreo: Add a couple Oreos at the end and blend for a few seconds to incorporate. Top with whipped cream and Oreo crumbs.
Strawberry Milkshake Without Ice Cream: Omit the cocoa powder. Add a cup of frozen strawberries and strawberry syrup to taste. Use the milk to adjust the consistency as needed.
Natural Sweeteners: Swap the sugar with maple syrup! Or if you like less sweetness, omit the sugar altogether. The banana adds natural sweetness to this recipe.
Yes, you can freeze a milkshake for later but it will freeze solid. It's best to enjoy a milkshake fresh, but if you do want to freeze it, you can. Let it thaw on the counter until it melts enough to stir. Stir thoroughly then enjoy.
Typically you add more ice cream! Since we're not using ice cream, it's important not to add too much liquid. The frozen banana provides a thick, creamy texture so long as you don't add too much milk. Blend until the mixture is very thick, then add a little bit of milk to reach the desired consistency.
If you want to make a milkshake without ice cream and milk, just swap the cream for coconut cream and the milk for almond milk. It will be completely plant-based and dairy-free at that point. You can also swap the sugar for maple syrup.
Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Fudgy Edible Brownie Batter
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- Chocolate Protein Rice Crispy Treats
Chocolate Milkshake Without Ice Cream
- High speed blender
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice
- 1 frozen banana, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons sugar Note 1
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut cream
- 3 ½ tablespoons milk, divided or almond milk
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cocoa powder, ice, both halves of the frozen banana, sugar, heavy cream, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Blend the mixture until smooth. It will be very thick at this point, like the texture of ice cream.
- Add the remaining milk and blend a few seconds more. Pour into glasses, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!