Sauteed kale and spinach is a quick and simple side dish that comes together in less than 10 minutes, and goes with nearly anything!
Why you'll love it
If you're looking to add greens into your life, this kale spinach recipe is a delicious way to do it! It's not fussy or complicated and it requires four simple ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
Did I mention it goes with everything? A few pieces of kale get dark and crispy, plus the bite of the garlic and a slight zip of lemon. So simple. So good.
Curly kale - You can add any kind of kale, but curly kale adds a nice texture to this dish! A few pieces of kale will brown and crisp up in the skillet. It's heavenly. Just be sure to remove the sturdy stems and tear off the leaves.
Baby spinach - Baby spinach has a softer texture that pairs well with the textured kale. A 5 ounce bag or container works great!
Garlic - Fresh garlic adds a nutty depth of flavor to the dish. Add it after you add the kale, so it doesn't burn in the hot oil.
Lemon - A squeeze of fresh citrus takes this side dish over the top! Don't skip this, and always use a fresh lemon. Bottled lemon juice is inferior and fresh lemons are affordable.
Salt & pepper - Don't forget to season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
How to Make Kale & Spinach
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and let it get hot.
Add the kale leaves to the hot oil and stir until slightly wilted. A few pieces of kale will get deep brown and crispy. That's fine and SUPER delicious.
Add the garlic and stir for 30 more seconds, then add the baby spinach, a large pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
Stir until the spinach is slightly wilted. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the pan and stir a few more times.
Transfer the sauteed greens to a plate and enjoy warm!
Ways to Serve It
- With eggs! Sauteed greens taste delicious with in an omelette, frittata, or egg casserole. You can add other veggies, bacon, ham, or parmesan too.
- In pasta. Kale and spinach tastes delicious with cooked pasta! Add parmesan and pesto for a full meal.
- With grilled chicken or steak. It tastes delicious with mashed potatoes, white rice, or baked potatoes.
- Sauteed kale and spinach tastes best fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Reheat in the microwave until hot throughout.
- They're both low in calories and packed with nutrients. One 3.5 ounce serving of spinach is only 23 calories and kale has only 50!
- Both are rich in Vitamin A, C, and K. Vitamin C is crucial for a healthy immune system.
- Leafy greens are loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants and plant compounds.
- Add toasted nuts to the sauteed greens. Toasted pine nuts, walnuts, or sliced almonds add a nutty crunch!
- Add red pepper flakes or Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick.
- Add shaved parmesan cheese at the very end. You can buy it shaved or use a vegetable peeler to shave it off a block.
Absolutely! Kale and spinach taste delicious together. Kale has a coarse texture that adds a slight crunch, and spinach has a mild flavor and soft texture. With garlic and lemon, this duo is surprisingly delicious!
Yes, kale has thick, coarse leaves and spinach leaves are soft and tender. Kale takes longer to wilt when cooked than spinach. Spinach wilts almost immediately, while kale takes a minute.
More Delicious Recipes:
- Spinach Omelette
- Spinach Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette & Pears
- Spinach Frittata with Cherry Tomato Jam
- Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
Sauteed Kale and Spinach
- Large nonstick skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch curly kale ribs removed and leaves torn off
- 1 ½ garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- pinch of kosher salt
- ½ lemon
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the kale leaves and stir until wilted. Don't worry if a few get deep brown. They get crisp and delicious that way.
- Add the garlic, a large pinch of salt, and a grind of black pepper. Stir for another 30 seconds, then add the baby spinach.
- Stir until the spinach is almost wilted. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the pan. Stir one more time, remove from the heat, and serve warm!