Soft and chewy, these gluten free snickerdoodles are rolled in cinnamon sugar then baked! You won't even know this classic cookie is gluten-free.
I can't think of a better combination than cinnamon sugar and cookies! I've always loved the classic snickerdoodle and so I knew I had to make a delicious gluten-free version.
These cookies came out soft and chewy, just like the snickerdoodles I remember as a kid! Nobody could even tell they were gluten-free snickerdoodles.
Gluten-free cinnamon sugar snickerdoodles call for basic pantry staples. Here's what you will need:
Butter - I always use unsalted butter so I can control the amount and quality of the salt. If you have salted butter, just omit the salt from this recipe.
Sugar - Regular sugar is all you need to sweeten these cookies!
Egg - Eggs give cookies their structure.
Vanilla Extract - Vanilla is optional but adds that something extra. If you don't use it, the cookie will still taste delicious though.
Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour - All gluten-free all-purpose flour blends are slightly different. They contain a blend of starches and flours to mimic wheat flour. I created this recipe with Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All-Purpose Flour. It's my favorite gluten-free flour for cookies and cakes. It doesn't have an aftertaste like some gluten-free flour brands.
Cream of Tartar - Cream of tartar is essential to achieve the right texture in a snickerdoodle.
Baking Soda - Baking soda reacts with the cream of tartar and causes lift.
Kosher Salt - If you only have table salt, cut the amount of salt in half.
Cinnamon Sugar - Cinnamon sugar is easy to make with cinnamon and sugar. The cookies are rolled in it for that classic cinnamon flavor.
How to Make Them
I love how simple gluten free snickerdoodle cookies are to make! You can bake these cookies in about 20 minutes. Here's how:
Make Cinnamon Sugar: Preheat the oven and make the cinnamon sugar.
Cream Butter & Sugar: Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy - around 3 to 4 minutes.
Add Egg: Add the egg to the butter mixture and then beat until combined. You will need to scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything gets incorporated.
Add Dry Ingredients: Add the gluten-free all-purpose flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and kosher salt. Beat well until a cookie dough forms.
Scoop & Roll: Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the dough into the cinnamon sugar. Roll each cookie so it is completely covered in the sugar.
Bake & Enjoy: Bake 7 cookies at a time for 11 minutes. You can use two sheet pans if you want to bake them at the same time.
- I haven't tried to make these dairy-free yet. The only ingredient you need to substitute is the butter. Use a vegan or dairy-free butter in place of regular butter. Let us know in the comments if you do this and how it comes out!
- If you have a favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, you can use it in place of Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All-Purpose Flour. Just be sure it contains xanthan gum.
- Be sure to use a gluten-free all-purpose flour that contains xanthan gum.
- There's no need to chill the gluten-free cookie dough. Scoop and bake right away.
- Use two sheet pans if you plan to bake all the snickerdoodle cookies at one time.
- This gluten-free snickerdoodle cookie recipe makes 14 small cookies.
Other Gluten-Free Cookies You Might Love
- Gluten Free Cowboy Cookies
- Gluten Free Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Gluten Free M&M Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
- Sheet pan
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Paddle attachment (for stand mixer)
- Portion or cookie scoop
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the cinnamon sugar:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup of sugar and 12 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the gluten-free flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and kosher salt to the bowl. Mix well until a cookie dough forms.
- Scoop each cookie into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll it around in the sugar and then place it on the sheet pan. Repeat until all the cookie dough is gone.
- Bake 7 cookies at a time for 11 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the cookies cool and then move to a serving plate.