Kidney beans, plenty of ground beef, tomatoes, and beef broth get simmered together for a hearty homestyle chili perfect for an easy weeknight meal. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for chili perfection!
Chili is meant to be easy. It's a no fuss dish that should taste warm and comforting on a cold night. Chili has quite a few variations depending where in the country you are. You can find everything from Cincinnati chili to vegetarian chili or even white chicken chili. The list is too long for this post but the variations are plenty. And quite honestly I haven't met a chili I don't like yet. My favorite chili to whip up in the kitchen is a big batch of homestyle chili.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. In other words, if you click a link and purchase something I will receive a commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I use and enjoy myself.
What is Homestyle Chili?
Homestyle chili typically refers to a simple, hearty chili made with lots of ground beef, tomatoes, beef broth, and spices simmered until it's thick and flavorful. It doesn't have a lot of unusual ingredients or cooking techniques. The meat is browned with the onion and then everything is added and simmered.
Prep work is minimal as most of the ingredients will just get dumped into the pot.
- Ground chuck - You can use lean ground beef if you have it or prefer. I drain some of the fat from the ground chuck.
- Sweet onion
- Olive oil
- Beef broth - This will result in a much more flavorful chili then one made with just water.
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste - Tomato paste thickens up the chili.
- Kidney beans - I prefer kidney beans but pinto beans also work well.
- Sugar - Just a small amount counteracts all the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Worcestershire sauce - Worcestershire sauce adds additional flavor but if you don't have it don't sweat it. The chili will still be delicious!
- Spices - Chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper give this chili loads of flavor. If you like it spicy you could even add some hot sauce!
Toppings for chili
Homestyle chili is delicious on it's own but I love to add toppings! Here are some of my favorites:
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Crushed up tortilla chips
- Diced red onion
- Sliced jalapenos (if you like it spicy!)
- Hot sauce
Is this recipe gluten free?
My recipes are always gluten free or easily made so. This recipe is gluten free but if you're new to the gluten free diet be sure to check all your labels! Buy beef broth that is labeled gluten free because not all of them are. Both Swanson and Progresso brand are labeled gluten free and can be found at almost any grocery store.
Worcestershire sauce isn't always gluten free so make sure you check that as well. I buy Lea & Perrin's brand Worcestershire sauce. Usually a quick google search will tell you if an item is gluten free or not.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Spicy Turkey Chili Recipe
- Tomato Bisque [Easy & Creamy]
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
- How to Make Perfect White Rice
- Balsamic Caramelized Mushrooms
- A large dutch oven or pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb ground chuck
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 15.5 oz cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ¾ t. kosher salt
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- Add the olive oil to a Dutch oven and bring it to medium high heat. Sauté the diced onion for 2 minutes until it's translucent and slightly caramelized. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and break it apart with a spatula. Cook until it's brown and cooked almost all the way through. Drain the fat.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, beef broth, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and all the spices to the pot and stir. Let the mixture come to a boil and then turn down to low and set simmer for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with any toppings you like!