Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. In other words, if you click a link and purchase something I will receive a commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I use and enjoy myself.
I’m not going to fabricate a story about how much I despised beans until I created this amazing spicy black bean burger recipe. Not only do I like them, I crazy-stalker like them. I put them in my eggs. In case you’re doubting this recipe because I’m a self proclaimed bean loving weirdo (guilty!) just know my sometimes too honest husband loved it too.
I love sweet heat, and these babies covered in chipotle mayo are perfect. They are also cost effective, and contain vegetables. (Um, score) I’m always on the prowl for delicious ways to eat vegetables. Let’s be honest, you don’t have to hunt to find a delicious way to eat bread. It’s um … bread.
In this recipe, I leave some of the beans, peppers and onions out of the food processor and add them in at the end. This gives the burger some good texture. Never have I heard of anything good in the food world described as a big pile of mush.
I took some pictures of what the mixture should look like before forming into patties. If it looks like someone ralphed Chipotle into a bowl then you’re doing it right.
These also taste great bunless and topped with sliced avocado.
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1/2 t. minced garlic
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- olive oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 t. honey
- Using a hand held strainer rinse and drain two cans of black beans. Scatter evenly on a sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- While the beans bake, small dice the green pepper and onion. Saute on medium high heat with the garlic until translucent yet still crunchy.
- In a large bowl, set aside half of the black beans and half the green pepper mixture.
- In a food processor, process the remaining green pepper mixture and the rest of the black beans with the egg, 1 chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and the juice from 1/2 a lime until mostly smooth.
- Using a spatula scoop mixture into the large bowl with your beans and peppers. Add the bread crumbs and cheddar cheese and stir well.
- Use a 1/2 cup to make 5 patties about 3 1/2 inches wide. Heat a large saute pan on medium high heat with a large drizzle of olive oil. Saute 3 patties at a time for 5 minutes on each side.
- For the chipotle mayo, using an immersion blender or food processor, process all ingredients until desired consistency.