Avocado is a great addition to scrambled eggs plus it makes them even more filling. These avocado scrambled eggs are spruced up with toasted pine nuts, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes for a satisfying breakfast.
Eggs and avocados are both filling ingredients but when I combine them they keep me full until lunch. Not only are avocado scrambled eggs low in carbs but they're packed with healthy fats and essential nutrients.
And even though I feel it goes without saying I'll say it anyway - avocados are delish! I'm somewhat obsessed. Okay fine, I pack them into anything and everything I possibly can. They're creamy, healthy, and delicious. What's not to love?
After a while scrambled eggs can bore me to tears. And this is when I start packing them full of other ingredients. You'd be surprised how many things taste good with eggs! For this recipe I make avocado scrambled eggs and then top them with toasted pine nuts, cilantro, and balsamic tossed cherry tomatoes.
You can skip the toppings if you just want to keep it simple but the toppings really make it special.
Ingredients for Avocado Scrambled Eggs
- Eggs - Whisk them together in a bowl with a fork or a small whisk.
- Avocado - Make sure your avocado is ripe but not mushy. It should give slightly when you press your finger gently into the skin.
- Kosher salt - I use kosher or sea salt in all my recipes. I like the flavor better and the granules are larger which makes it harder to over-salt.
- Butter - You can easily make this recipe vegan or dairy-free by using vegan butter or olive oil in it's place.
- Pine nuts (Optional) - Pine nuts have a delightfully nutty flavor and they're full of healthy vitamins and antioxidants.
- Cilantro (Optional)
- Cherry tomatoes (Optional) - I love the combination of cherry tomatoes and avocado. Since the eggs and avocados together are predominantly rich the tomatoes add acidity and brightness to the dish.
- Balsamic vinaigrette (Optional) - Because I usually make this dish in the morning I like to use a store-bought vinaigrette because it cuts back on prep work. Just choose your favorite brand that fits your dietary needs.
How to Make Them
Scrambled eggs with avocado is a cinch to make. Here's how:
Melt the butter
Set a nonstick skillet on medium low heat. Once the pan is up to temperature add the butter.
Add the eggs
Once melted add the whisked eggs to the pan and let sit for a few seconds. Stir or fold occasionally as the eggs cook until they're almost done.
Add the diced avocado
Add the diced avocado to the eggs and use a spatula to stir it into the eggs. Take the pan off the heat.
Serve and add toppings
Transfer the eggs to a plate and top with toasted pine nuts, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
Are Eggs and Avocado Keto Friendly?
Yes! Both eggs and avocado are low-carb and keto friendly. One large egg has less than a gram of carbs and avocados are low in net carbs. A 100 gram serving of avocado has about 8.5 grams of carbs and almost 7 grams of fiber. The cherry tomatoes do add carbohydrates so keep them off if you're on a strictly keto diet.
How do I know when my scrambled eggs are done?
This is actually a matter of preference. Some like them slightly under and others like them a little overcooked. It's very easy to overcook eggs and in my opinion causes them to get a bit rubbery.
They will continue to cook a little even after you remove them from the heat so keep this in mind. This is called carry over cooking. The scrambled eggs are finished when there's no more liquid left but they still look a bit shiny and moist. Cook them how you like to eat them though - that's really all that matters.
Other Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
- Omelette with Avocado and Veggies
- Spinach Frittata with Cherry Tomato Jam
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie Bowl
- Peanut Butter Avocado Chocolate Smoothie
Avocado Scrambled Eggs with Pine nuts and Tomatoes
- Nonstick skillet
- Silicone spatula
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ¾ tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted See notes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 to 2 teaspoons balsamic vinaigrette
- In a nonstick skillet on medium low heat add the butter to the pan. In a small bowl add the eggs and salt then whisk well with a fork. In another small bowl toss together the halved cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Once the butter is melted add the eggs to the pan. Let it sit for a few seconds and then stir the eggs with a spatula. Stir occasionally until the eggs are almost done but not completely. They should still look a little bit shiny and runny.
- Add the diced avocado and continue to stir the eggs until they're done. Be careful not to break up the avocado too much. We want nice chunks in the eggs.
- Carefully transfer the eggs to a plate and top with toasted pine nuts, torn cilantro, and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!