If you’re looking to up your pancake game, this gluten free pancake recipe is made with dark cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips and oats to add texture.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. In other words, if you click a link and purchase something I will receive a commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I use and enjoy myself.
Super Chocolatey Gluten Free Pancakes to change up your morning routine:
If there’s two things I’m obsessed with it’s pancakes and dark chocolate so combining them just made sense. I eat these fluffy gluten free pancakes or waffles every day for breakfast, usually with peanut butter. (If you haven’t tried it, you should.)
It’s funny because my sisters can’t relate at all to this. The same breakfast every morning and they begin to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. I, on the other hand, fall asleep every night excited to wake up and eat pancakes.
I figure if I want to stick with my beloved cakes and waffles each morning I can at least get creative with my flavors. I’ve now bought every waffle flavor possible from the store. Blueberry? Yes. Cinnamon? You betcha. Pumpkin spice, chocolate chip I’ve done ’em all. And now I’m switching up my pancake batter too. First stop chocolate. (Second stop banana)
This gluten free pancake recipe isn’t overly sweet because we gotta make some room for maple syrup and chocolate chips.
I love my beloved sugar but if there’s one thing that ruins a dish – it’s an overabundance of it.
Keys to this gluten free pancake recipe:
- A good all purpose gluten free flour. I can’t overemphasize this one enough. If the recipe’s main ingredient is flour and your flour tastes subpar it won’t taste good. I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 All Purpose Flour. It’s the best one I’ve found that’s easy accessible. If you check out their site they post recipes made specifically with their flour.
- Submerge your chocolate chips. If you throw the chocolate chips on top and flip your pancake you will have a burnt bottom. You can either gently press them into the pancake with your fingers or add a tiny bit of pancake batter on each one but whatever you do don’t skip this step.
- Don’t overcook – don’t undercook. How’s that for pressure? Unfortunately though it’s true. Pancakes are like a cake you are cooking in a pan (hence the name). Similar to cake – if you overcook they will be dry. If you undercook they will be gummy. And we don’t need any buzzkills before 10 a.m. Am I right?
How do I eat delicious gluten free pancakes everyday for breakfast with absolutely zero effort?
Pancakes freeze very well. When they are done cooling put them on a sheet pan and stick in the freezer. Once they are frozen throw them in a gallon sized freezer bag and close.
When you want a pancake for breakfast, microwave one until warmed through. In my microwave its one minute. Top with maple syrup and enjoy.
Can’t get more effortless than that! Unless of course you just bought them from the store, but where’s the fun in that?
Top with banana or rainbow sprinkles for even more feel good vibes!
Gluten Free Chocolate Oat Pancake Recipe
- griddle or large nonstick pan
- 2/3 Cup + 2 T. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup old fashioned oats Make sure they're gluten free
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 T. Hershey's dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- Combine dry ingredients into a medium bowl and stir with a fork.
- Measure milk and oil first then add egg and whisk together.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and stir together using a spatula.
- Bring large nonstick pan to medium high and let batter sit for 5 minutes while pan gets hot.
- Lower heat to medium and add 1 tbsp oil to pan. Using a portion scoop add batter to pan to make pancakes.
- Place chocolate chips onto pancake and press gently into pancake until submerged or add a tiny bit of batter over the chocolate chips to submerge.
- Cook pancake until bubbles are popping through the pancake - about 2 minutes and then flip and cook for another minute or so.
- Top with maple syrup and enjoy.