I’ve made these gluten free carrot cake muffins four times this week, twice with a 15 month old on my hip. Two sore forearms, and four recipes later these babies are what my muffin dreams are made of.
This recipe produces a gorgeous golden brown muffin – sweet and moist but not too dense or stodgy, a difficult feat to achieve in gluten free baking.
Two things I’ve found essential to good gluten free baking:
- Extra leavening
- A solid (by that I meant tastes better than most) gluten free flour. My current favorite is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. I’ve found it to be far superior to King Arthur’s gluten free flour, Krusteaz, and Pillsbury to name a few grocery store accessible ones.
Bonus, it can be found at Walmart or Sam’s Club. My family’s in love with Sam’s Club. I feel like every time my dad makes a trip “What are we going to do with 20 pounds of potatoes?’ comes flying out of my mouth.
Twenty pounds of mashed potatoes later it feels like a dumb question.
You will notice in this recipe, for the sake of
laziness efficiency I finely pulsed the carrots instead of grated them. After trying both methods I believe this recipe comes out even better when you just whiz those carrots in your food processor until they’re smaller than pieces of rice. The hubs bought me this awesome OXA 4 in 1 hand blender set.
I’m in love with it. I use it ALL the time. Its been making life in the kitchen a breeze. I love the ease of using the food processor attachment without having to pull out my entire food processor.
My hope is you fall smitten with this recipe too. Slather on some butter for muffin nirvana.
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. allspice
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup finely pulsed carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine together dry ingredients in medium bowl and stir together.
- Using a stand mixer, beat both sugars, vegetable oil, and mashed banana together on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add your dry ingredients to mixer and beat until well combined then fold in your finely pulsed carrots.
- Spray or line your muffin tins and then fill each one 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes.