Sweet and spicy - this mango habanero salsa has the perfect amount of sweet heat. Eat this refreshing salsa with tortilla chips or put it on top of fish, chicken, or tacos!
Why You Will Love It
- It's so fresh (and good for you)!
- It makes everything better. Use it to top fish, chicken, tacos, nachos, or burrito bowls.
- Salsa tastes even better the next day. All the flavors really come together once it sits in the fridge overnight.
- Mango - The natural sweetness of mango pairs so well with spicy peppers like habanero. Look for a mango that gives slightly when pressed with your finger but doesn't feel soft or mushy.
- Red onion - Adds crunch and a sharp bite which is a perfect contrast to the sweet and soft flavor of the mango.
- Green bell pepper - Adds more crunch but this time it's slightly sweet and not sharp like the onion flavor
- Tomato - Of course!
- Habanero - This recipe only calls for one but you can mince up more if you like your salsa extremely hot. I de-pithed mine because nobody in my household would eat it if I made it too spicy (except me!).
- Lime - The lime is essential to this recipe. It's acidity brings all the flavors together and gives it the right amount of sweet and acid.
- Kosher salt - A small amount of salt brings out all the flavors of the salsa.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. In other words, if you click a link and purchase something I will receive a commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products I use and enjoy myself.
How to Make It
It's really simple to make. Here's how:
- Dice up the mango, green bell pepper, and red onion. Aim for a very small dice since this is a salsa and if it's too chunky the flavors won't come together as nicely. But don't worry about them being all perfectly the same size. Trust me, nobody will notice.
- Mince the cilantro and habanero pepper. Mince up the habanero instead of dicing it so the heat is throughout the whole salsa.
- Place all the minced and diced ingredients into a big bowl.
- Add the salt and squeeze in the lime. Start with only 1 ½ limes. You can always add more lime juice if you like it extra limey.
- Stir everything together and enjoy. Or you can cover it and refrigerate to eat later.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- If you want your salsa extra spicy don't de-pith the habanero pepper. The white pith inside the pepper is where all the heat comes from. You can also mince up more than one if you like. Taste as you go until you get the right amount of heat!
- If you have a yellow or white onion on hand you can use it instead of the red onion in this mango habanero salsa.
- Even though this is a chunky salsa as opposed to smooth be sure to dice up everything nice and small. It doesn't have to be even or pretty but all the flavors come together better with a nice small dice.
Other Recipes You Might Love
- Pineapple Mango Salsa Recipe
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie Bowl
- Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
- Chipotle Mayo Recipe
- Chimichurri Steak Bowl
Mango Habanero Salsa
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Large Bowl
- 1 Large mango, peeled pitted and small diced
- ½ cup Red onion, small diced
- ½ cup Green bell pepper, small diced
- 1 Tomato, small diced
- 1 Habanero, minced*
- 2 Limes
- 1 tbsp Minced cilantro
- ¼ t. Kosher salt
- In a large bowl combine the mango, red onion, tomato, green bell pepper, habanero, cilantro, and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the limes in half and squeeze 3 of the halves into the bowl. Stir well with a large spoon.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.