This almond flour cornbread is fluffy, moist, and gluten free! It's also a one-bowl cornbread recipe that takes about 5 minutes to whip up!
This gluten free cornbread with almond flour is an excellent recipe if you are out of gluten free all-purpose flour or you can't stomach the gluten free flour blends.
It's super simple, delicious and it's also dairy free! It does include cornmeal though so if you are on the search for a keto cornbread or low carb cornbread this isn't the recipe for you.
You can also make these into almond flour cornbread muffins if you'd rather.
Isn't cornbread always gluten free?
At first glance it seems cornbread should be gluten free. It's made of corn after all which is naturally gluten free. Even if most cornmeal brands weren't made on shared equipment with wheat (which they are) cornbread still isn't gluten free. You can read more about corn and gluten here.
Most cornbread recipes call for both cornmeal and you guessed it - flour. It's what gives cornbread it's fluffy cake-like texture. If it was only cornmeal it would come out dense and dry.
Ingredients and Equipment:
You will need:
- Finely sifted almond flour - I don't recommend almond meal.
- Cornmeal - Make sure it's gluten free. I had to do some searching for this because most brands of cornmeal say, "May contain wheat" on the back. Bob's Red Mill's cornmeal is gluten free but it's a medium grind that changes the texture of the cornbread. I tried it both ways and liked the gritty texture but if you are looking for a fluffy tasting cornbread find another brand. I know Arrowhead Mills also sells gluten free cornmeal.
- Sugar - This is a sweet cornbread. I've always preferred sweet to savory cornbread.
- Baking Powder - For rise!
- Kosher Salt
- Vegetable Oil - Keeps it moist without the addition of dairy.
- Eggs - I've found additional eggs works really well in almond flour recipes. Three is not a typo even though it sounds like a lot.
- Nonstick spray - Just don't buy one that contains flour or the cornbread won't be gluten free.
You will also need an 8 by 8 square baking pan, a medium mixing bowl and a spatula.
How to make this cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set out all your ingredients. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Measure the almond flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium mixing bowl and stir.
- Measure the oil and eggs together and whisk. Add to the dry ingredients until a batter forms.
- Scrape the batter into the baking pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. This was right around 23 minutes for me. Be careful not to overbake or else the cornbread will be dry instead of moist.
Other delicious gluten free recipes
- Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Spicy Turkey Chili
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
Almond Flour Cornbread
- ¾ cup Finely sifted almond flour
- ¾ cup Cornmeal Make sure it's labeled gluten free
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ t. Baking powder
- ¼ t. Kosher salt
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 3 Large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add almond flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt then stir.
- Measure oil and eggs together and whisk together. Add to the cornmeal and mixture and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Scrape the batter into the greased baking pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean - about 23 minutes.