This gluten free chocolate pound cake is moist, rich, and studded with chocolate chips. It's the perfect cake for the chocolate lovers in your life.
In my kitchen if a dessert can be made into a chocolate version it will be! My obsession with chocolate is unparalleled. I'd eat an old shoe if it was dipped in dark chocolate. After perfecting a gluten free pound cake recipe it was only natural the next recipe be a gluten free chocolate pound cake!
This pound cake is so dense and perfect it doesn't need frosting or toppings. It's incredible all on its own.
Dark Cocoa Powder is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with. It provides such a rich and dark chocolate flavor not to mention a much darker color to desserts. I always buy Hershey's dark cocoa powder and it can usually be found right next to their regular cocoa powder.
Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All Purpose Flour is my favorite gluten free all purpose flour. The taste and texture is on point and it's widely available. I buy it at Walmart and Target, or on Amazon.
Sour cream helps make the cake moist, rich, and dense like any good pound cake should be.
Semisweet chocolate chips add even more chocolatey flavor to this decadent pound cake. It's sort of like a double chocolate bakery style muffin and pound cake had a baby.
- Wait for it to cool a while before trying to get it out of the pan. This one is incredibly difficult because it looks amazing and it smells amazing BUT don't let all that hard work go to waste. Wait for it to cool so it won't fall apart when you try to take it out.
- Room temperature pound cake is more dense than warm pound cake. I wait until mine is completely room temp before diving in.
- Wait for it to cool completely before wrapping it in saran wrap and I mean not even slightly warm. We don't want any condensation to form.
Yep! I like to cut mine into thick slices first then lay them on a sheet pan and stick it in the freezer. Once the slices are frozen put them in a gallon zip top bag and label it on the outside with the date so you know when it was made.
Wait until it's completely cooled and then wrap in saran wrap. Wrap it again in saran wrap so it's sealed really well. Don't refrigerate or it will dry out and lose it's amazing texture.
Other Gluten Free Cake Recipes You Might Love
- Gluten Free Italian Cream Cake
- Gluten Free Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Spice Cake
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake with an Orange glaze
Gluten Free Chocolate Pound Cake
- Stand Mixer with the Paddle Attachment
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 1:1 All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup dutch processed dark cocoa powder I used Hershey's dark
- 1 t. baking powder
- ¼ t. kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 by 5 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and both sugars for 3 minutes on medium speed. It should look lighter in color.
- Add each egg one at a time mixing well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined then add the rest of the flour mixture. Add the sour cream and beat until a thick batter forms. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean around 70 minutes. Let cake cool and then enjoy!