Peanut butter cream cheese frosting that's sweet, creamy, and tangy. This peanut butter flavored icing is perfect for cakes, cupcakes, and more!
Cream cheese frosting and peanut butter is a match made in dessert heaven! It's the perfect mashup of sweet, tangy, and nutty. This peanut butter cream cheese frosting is divine. It's not too sweet, like some frostings, and all the elements shine through.
You get the tang from the cream cheese, the sweetness from the powdered sugar, and plenty of peanut butter flavor. Spread it on cupcakes, layer cakes, or even cinnamon rolls!
This cream cheese peanut butter icing calls for five simple ingredients.
- Cream cheese - Cream cheese is, of course, crucial for peanut butter cream cheese icing! I like to use full-fat cream cheese for full-flavor, but you can use reduced-fat if you prefer.
- Butter - I'm a huge fan of butter in my cream cheese frosting. It gives you that creamy texture without too much tang from the cream cheese.
- Peanut butter - I used Peter Pan creamy peanut butter, but just use your favorite brand.
- Vanilla extract - Adds that something extra!
- Powdered sugar - To sweeten the frosting and make it silky smooth. I add 1 ¾ cups of powdered sugar to this recipe and find it perfectly sweet. If you like it sweeter, feel free to gradually add more powdered sugar. Taste as you go.
How to Make Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Frosting
Cream the butter. In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Make sure to use room temperature butter. Cold butter will be difficult to whip.
Add peanut butter, cream cheese, & vanilla.
Beat the mixture again for another minute. This will give you a fluffier frosting.
Beat in the powdered sugar. Add one cup of powdered sugar and beat for 1 minute. Start on low so the powdered sugar doesn't poof outside the bowl and make a mess.
Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat for 1 more minute. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- If your butter is cold, you can zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. Don't heat it for too long or it will melt!
- Taste the peanut butter icing with cream cheese. If you like it sweeter, add ¼ cup more powdered sugar at a time until you reach the desired sweetness.
- For best results, use full-fat cream cheese. I mean, it is frosting, am I right?
- If you want it thicker but not sweeter, either refrigerate it for a while or add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch. Don't overdo it though.
- Avoid natural peanut butter for this recipe. The oil separation can make the frosting greasy.
- Be sure to use room temperature butter and cream cheese. If you use cold butter and cream cheese, throw them into a bowl and beat, the cream cheese icing will be lumpy!
- Store cream cheese peanut butter frosting in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- If you frost a cake or cupcakes in this frosting, they will need to be refrigerated until ready to serve. Refrigerating cake tends to dry it out, so I like to frost my cupcakes right before I plan to serve them.
The easiest way to thicken cream cheese frosting is to refrigerate it for 15 to 30 minutes. As the butter in the frosting cools down, it will harden and thus make the frosting much thicker. If you want it to be thicker at room temperature, you can add more powdered sugar. If you want it to be thicker but not sweeter, you can add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch.
For best results, use smooth peanut butter that's already emulsified. Avoid natural peanut butter that separates and you have to stir it to combine the oil. This kind of peanut butter can make a greasy frosting.
Yes! This frosting is sturdy enough to pipe onto cupcakes. Just fill a large piping bag with a large star tip and pipe. If you want it a bit thicker, refrigerate for 15 minutes first, or add a couple more tablespoons of powdered sugar.
Ways to use peanut butter cream cheese icing
- Pipe onto vanilla or chocolate cupcakes! Top with chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
- Spread onto apple or banana cake!
- Spread onto a chocolate or peanut butter sheet cake.
- Sandwich between two oatmeal cookies.
More Peanut Butter Recipes
- Peanut Butter Milkshake
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Avocado Chocolate Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric hand mixer
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (2 ounces)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (½ block)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat the butter for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add the peanut butter, cream cheese, and vanilla to the butter. Beat for 1 more minute.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar to the peanut butter mixture. Turn the mixer on low and beat for 5 seconds, then turn the mixer on medium and beat for 1 more minute.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat 1 more minute. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.