Blackberry simple syrup is only three ingredients and a cinch to make. It's a perfect way to spruce up a cocktail or a carbonated beverage. You can also use it to make lemonade or sweet tea.
What is simple syrup?
Simple syrup is a syrup made of just sugar and water. The sugar is cooked and thus dissolved in the water which makes it into a thicker syrup.
It is most commonly used for drinks because it sweetens them without any grittiness or the sugar settling at the bottom. Simple syrup is typically made with a one to one ratio of sugar and water but the variations are truly endless.
How do you make simple syrup?
Simple syrup is super easy to make. Here's how:
- In a small saucepan add equal parts sugar and water on medium low heat.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved turn off the heat and set the pan aside to cool.
- Once cool transfer the syrup to a glass jar or container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
What You Need
Blackberry simple syrup is just as easy but takes much longer to cook because you want all that blackberry flavor to infuse into the sugar water. Here's what you need:
- Blackberries - This is an excellent recipe to use when blackberries are in season. Blackberries were 99 cents yesterday at our local grocery store. It's hard to beat that!
That's it! Whenever blackberries are in season and dirt cheap I like to scoop up a few boxes and make this syrup for drinks! We like to put soda water over ice with lime, mint, and blackberry simple syrup.
How to make blackberry simple syrup
In a medium sauce pan combine the sugar, water, and fresh blackberries. Stir to combine.
Turn the burner on to medium heat and let it come up to a simmer. Turn down the heat to medium low and let simmer for 12 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the lime juice and let it cook for 8 more minutes.
Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a wide mouthed jar. Wait until the syrup is cool then screw on the lid and refrigerate for up to one week.
Delicious ways to use it
Here are some tasty ways to use it all up!
- Use it in place of simple syrup in homemade lemonade!
- Add it to soda water on ice with mint and lime
- Use it in margaritas for a blackberry twist!
- Pretty much any fruity cocktail that calls for simple syrup can be subbed with this delicious syrup
- Add it to unsweetened ice tea
How long is it good for?
Since this simple syrup has the addition of fresh berries it has a much shorter shelf life than regular simple syrup. Refrigerate and enjoy for up to 1 week.
Other Berry Recipes You Might Love
- Gluten Free Blackberry Crisp
- Blackberry Popsicles
- Gluten Free Strawberry Crisp
- Triple Berry Crisp with Oat Crumble
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie Bowl
Blackberry Simple Syrup
- medium saucepan
- Fine mesh sieve or strainer
- Measuring cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups blackberries
- 1 tbsp lime juice, fresh squeezed
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat combine the sugar, water, and blackberries. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture up to a simmer and then turn down the heat to medium low. Let it simmer for 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the lime juice and let it simmer for 8 more minutes.
- Carefully strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a wide mouthed jar. Let the syrup come to room temperature and then screw on the lid and refrigerate for up to 1 week.